Friday, August 5, 2011

How Tall Should a Headboard Be?

I want a new bed.
Period.
There I said it.
We have two queen beds, but for our new master suite, I want a king sized bed.

The scale of the room calls for a king.

So, how tall should the headboard be?
As with all my ponderings, I went online to seek out examples.

This one is pretty nicely scaled, but I don't think I'll be going for the tufted look.



source

I do like the simple square with some type of trim to define it. Isn't the monogram great?



source

This collage from Pinterest shows 3 examples, ignore the tufts, unless you like tufts, then you can admire them.
Two out of three of these are low.  hmmm.


source

This one is nice.  It appears to have wood trim and maybe nail heads. I like the colors.
Another thing I like about this bed is it's upholstered all around--it's an upholstered bed not just headboard.
That means I won't have to deal with a bed skirt, but I'll lose all that lovely storage under the bed.



source

Another example of a tallish headboard. Pretty.



source

Here's one from Kate at Censational Girl. This is from her master bedroom makeover.
I'm seeing a lot of examples of headboards that are just a tiny bit higher than the lampshades.
So how high are the lampshades?

cg bed wall

This bedroom is sooo pretty, but I'm leaning toward a square shaped headboard.



Now we're getting there.
Really, this one is tufted, but the tufts are covered up by the pillows. What's the point?
We won't have this many pillows. Maybe some European ones and a couple more for color.

It's from  "Style at Home" Photography by Donna Griffith

Contemporary classic A neutral palette and traditional design are what make this bedroom a cosy classic, but the addition of a sassy animal-print bench gives the room an edge.
I kinda like this one: it's square, has some nail head trim, the sides and foot board are covered.



source

This photo is from La Dolce Vida from her post about Upholstered Headboards.
It's really tall. Is it too tall?  The whole thing is upholstered.
.


source

The following are from Phoebe Howard at Mrs. Howard Personal Shopper.
I pinched off a couple of dimensions and prices.
There are lots of completely upholstered beds here.

$3800 - queen



$1,920 - Queen - 64”w x 91”d x 62”h



Dakota_bed - queen - $3,575 - 66W x 87D x 60H



Queen - $2,900 - 71w x 84d x 46h
Queen - $2,900 - 71"w x 84"d x 46"h



$4400 - 65.75''W x 83.25''D x 87.5''H

$4,400 - 65.75''w x 83.25''d x 87.5''h
HOLY TOLEDO, Batman!


The wires under this bed make me feel a little better about myself.
What do rich people do with their cords?
It looks like they stuff them under the bed like the rest of us.
Is this the same bed as above in the 4th picture? Maybe without the trim?
It's a little too French for me,but I like the scale.

1 151 - Web Large

Okay, I've cleared up a couple of things:  I like the bed to be upholstered, not just the head board, and I like the head board to be tall.

But how tall should it be?

Later,
Patti